|This page is out of date (v0.15).|
This is a page for frequently asked questions, organized by category. If you are new to the game the Beginner's Guide will give you a place to get started.
This page is not as up to date as many other sections of the wiki. If information on this page conflicts with information you see elsewhere, assume this page is the one that is incorrect.
- 1 Combat
- 2 Non-Combat Skills
- 3 Other
Q: When can I farm for Amulet of Looting?
- A: Full mithril armor and mithril weapons will do if you are in a hurry. Just make sure you have auto-eat and lots and lots of food. However, adamant to rune armour will make it much easier.
- A: Yes. You have a chance to obtain 2 chests from a single dungeon completion with either Chapeau Noir or Aorpheats Signet Ring equipped. The double loot drop chance from Chapeau Noir and Aorpheats Signet Ring stacks additively for a total of 15% chance to earn double loot.
Q: What happens if you die?
- A: When you die a random item from your currently selected Equipment Set will be lost forever.
Q: What does X Combat Skill do?
- A: Check out the beginner's guide for an overview of the combat skills. More detailed information about Combat mechanics can be found on the Combat page.
Q: Can I fight monsters offline?
- A: Combat is currently online only. Only non-combat skills allow Offline Progression. However, Offline Combat is planned for the future. See the planned roadmap of development here.
Q: How does upgrading/trimming work?
- A: Some items can be upgraded to improve their stats or to create new equipment. For more information visit the Upgrading Items page.
Q: How is exp for Combat skills calculated?
- A: Exp is gained for Combat based on damage you do. Some skills like Prayer have exp that varies, so be sure to check their respective pages and see exactly how much exp it gives.
Q: How do I level these and what do they do?
- A: Check out the beginner's guide for an overview of the combat skills. More detailed information about Combat mechanics can be found on the Combat page. Basically, Attack level increases your accuracy and chance to hit, Strength increases your Max Hit, and Defence increases your melee evasion rating.
Q: I had auto-eat on, how did I die?
- A: You died because you either ran out of food, or the max hit of the enemy exceeded the threshold for auto-eat. (Ex: T1 auto-eat, 20% health threshold and you have 100 HP. As the threshold for auto-eat to trigger would be <=20 HP, an enemy with a max hit >21 could kill you without ever triggering auto-eat.)
Q: Is it possible to get above 990 Hitpoints?
Q: Is ranged worth doing/levelling?
- A: Yes. Ranged has better clear times than melee for many different combat scenarios. However, you will need to craft ammo.
Q: What is the best way to level up Ranged?
- A: Longbows are generally recommended for Ranged. Ice Arrows are a good ammo to use, as they are stronger than Adamant Arrows and can be farmed easily. Endgame players may want to farm Ancient Arrows as they are the best arrows, and they can be farmed alongside Large Horns.
Q: Is magic worth doing/leveling?
- A: Yes, magic is extremely effective at killing melee monsters, the majority of monsters. It has high accuracy, which makes it a skill that is worth it to train. Most monsters have low Magic evasion, so you can easily hit them. Also, Ancient Magiks can provide the highest dps out of anything in the game.
- In addition to the combat benefits, there are a variety of useful non-Combat spells that can be used via Alternative Magic, including Blessed Offering (the most efficient way to generate Prayer points) and Superheat spells which generate multiple bars per set of ores used and at the highest tier allow you to smelt bars without needing any coal.
Q: How do I make Magic weapons and armor?
- A: In addition to runes, the Runecrafting skill allows you to craft weapons and armor similar to how the Smithing skill works for melee combat.
Q: Do staves make spells require less runes?
- A: Yes. When equipped, staves remove the need to use a certain number of Air, Water, Earth, or Fire runes, depending on the staff type.
Q: What is the best way to level up Magic?
- A: Many players use Air spells to level up Magic, as it removes the need to use more than one Rune when attacking. However, some Ancient Magiks such as Gust and Incinerate provide the highest exp/second of any skill in the game, and provide a high pet chance too.
- Training via Alternative Magic also allows players to train Magic through non-combat means while also helping them with other skills, for example by smelting bars with Superheat or making Holy Dust to bury for Prayer points via Blessed Offering.
- A: No, they give you prayer points, used to activate prayers during Combat. Most prayers will give you Prayer XP while active, unless specified.
Q: What is the number next to Prayer in the sidebar?
Q: How do I get Slayer exp?
- A: Completing Slayer Tasks will give you Slayer exp equal to 15% of that monster's hitpoints. Alternatively, defeating any monster in any slayer area will give you exp equal to 5% of that monster's hitpoints.
- A: Slayer Coins are displayed in the sidebar next to the Slayer skill and in the Shop next to total GP. Slayer Coins can only be earned by completing Slayer Tasks. Monsters killed for Slayer Tasks earn Slayer Coins and Slayer experience points equal to 10% of the slain monster's hitpoints.
Q: How did I get a Bird Nest?
- A: Bird Nests have a 0.5% chance to drop every time a tree is cut. This chance can be increased with Bird Nest Potions, for instance.
Q: What is the quickest way to level up Woodcutting?
- A: Cutting the quickest tree with best exp. Currently, the best is Redwood Tree by far, followed by Yew and Mahogany.
- A: Cutting the Redwood Tree compared to the Magic Tree trades money for exp. Redwood Tree gives exp, and Magic Tree gives money.
Q: Do I need to keep the Message in a Bottle?
- A: Once the Message in a Bottle has been read, the item no longer has any use and can be sold. Any further bottles found will also have no effect.
Q: Does junk do anything?
- A: Rope can be upgraded into Bowstrings, and other fishing junk can be turned into gems with the use of Rags to Riches I.
Q: What is the best fish to grind a special item?
- A: Raw Seahorse is currently the best special item chance for least catch time, although Raw Skeleton Fish are not that far behind in terms of catch time and are much more useful.
Q: What is the quickest way to level up Fishing?
- A: Usually, it is to just fish the highest fish you have unlocked. However, there are a few exceptions, such as Raw Seahorse and Raw Magic Fish, which give worse exp per second than their other level unlocked counterparts.
Q: How did I get a Treasure Chest?
Q: What's the point of this skill?
- A: Increasing the Firemaking skill level allows the player to purchase higher tier cooking fires from the Shop. Also, the Firemaking Skillcape (which is purchasable from the Shop upon reaching Level 99) provides a 5% global experience bonus. Furthermore, getting 99 mastery on each log will give further global mastery experience.
Q: What is the quickest way to level up Firemaking?
- A: Burn the highest log you have unlocked, but use Yew Logs and Magic Logs over Redwood Logs. Controlled Heat Potions decrease the time significantly.
Q: What are burnt fish used for?
- A: Burnt fish have no use and can be sold.
Q: How do you idle cooking? I have to start a fire every few seconds.
Q: What is the fastest way to level up Cooking?
- A: Cooking the highest fish you can. Using Cooking Gloves reduces the time significantly.
Q: Do Gem Gloves make a profit?
- A: Yes. If all the charges from the Gem Gloves are used and the gems obtained are sold, the expected profit is around 262,000.
Q: What are gems for? Should I sell them?
- A: Gems are used for Crafting jewelry and brewing some potions, as well as Fletching Gem Tipped Bolts. Gem Gloves give players a reliable way to collect more gems, so it's acceptable to sell them early on for GP.
- A: It is possible to find armour as loot when killing monsters, so leveling Smithing is not technically required. If you choose to focus on Magic rather than Melee, you can focus on Runecrafting instead.
Q: Why can't I thieve offline?
- A: To thieve offline, first you must have a 90% success rate with the NPC you are thieving from. You may bring the success rate up to 90% with Thieving Gloves, but the progress will stop once the charges run out.
Q: Does damage reduction from armour work when thieving?
- A: Yes. The damage taken when stunned is reduced by any damage reduction you currently have.
Q: Is it possible to die offline?
- A: No. It is not possible, although you may die the moment you enter Melvor Idle, so be careful.
Q: How do I start farming? Why can't I plant my seeds?
- A: At the beginning of the game, you can only grow Potatoes, which require 3 Potato Seeds to plant. As your skill level increases, you will be able to plant more things, including herbs and trees.
Q: Why are my plants disappearing once the timer is done?
- A: Your plants have a base 50% survival rate. If they survive, then you can harvest them, but if they didn't, you get nothing. You can purchase Compost and Weird Gloop from the shop to increase the survival chance of a plant.
Q: Why did my plant grow straight away?
- A: This is a known bug, where sometimes if a plant is replanted immediately after the timer finishes, then the plant will grow almost instantly. This also occurs with herbs and trees.
Q: Can I get arrows without Fletching?
Q: How in the world do you get Runecrafting to a high level? It gives me less than 10 exp!
- A: Crafting Combination Runes provides much more exp than regular runes do, and getting 25% mastery pool in Runecrafting makes a huge difference.
Q: I made a potion, how do I use it?
- A: To use a potion, go to the skill that the potion is for. If it is a combat potion, go to the Combat page. At the top right of the screen there is a button with an empty potion that you can press, and from there you should be able to select any potions you have in your inventory for that skill. Note the "toggle Auto-Reuse" option - having that active means that when the potion you're using runs out of charges, it automatically starts using another potion of the same type.
Q: How do you get higher tier potions?
- A: You level up the mastery for that potion until it automatically switches the tier to the next level. The tiers are:
- Tier 1: Mastery level 1.
- Tier 2: Mastery level 20.
- Tier 3: Mastery level 50.
- Tier 4: Mastery level 90.
- Also note that it is possible to get a potion of a random tier when using an Herblore Potion.
Q: A Wiki page was missing some information I think should be there, can you please add it?
- A: The Wiki is a work in progress and we try to update it with as much information as possible. When new patches are released, the Wiki lags behind while new information is added. If you think something should be added to the Wiki, please let us know on Discord in #wiki-discussion.
Q: I'm level 99 in a skill, what is a skillcape?
- A: They can be found in the Shop, for 1,000,000, under 'skillcapes'. These provide a bonus to the skill the skillcape is for when equipped.
Q: Can gloves stack charges?
- A: Yes. You can buy them multiple times and all charges will stack into 1 glove (of that type. Ex: 4000 charges on one pair of Gem Gloves).
Q: Do I just use all my mastery tokens?
- A: Yes, use them as soon as you acquire them. There is no benefit to holding onto them, it's wasted Bank space.
Q: How many Bank slots are there?
- A: You can get as many as you'd like, but after purchasing 118 slots the price maxes out at 5,000,000 per slot. Bank slots can also be gained by using Bank Slot Tokens.
Q: I lost X item because my Bank was full/because I died. Can I get it back?
- A: Unfortunately once an item is lost there is no way to recover it. The exception to this is items purchased from the Shop - like Skillcapes - which can be repurchased at their original price.
Q: This skill is taking forever to level, what am I doing wrong?
- A: Skills typically take longer to level the higher they get and players often measure their progress in hours or days. There are many resources available on Discord for players who want to ensure they're leveling optimally.
Q: Is 99 the level cap? How are levels displayed past 99?
- A: Levels only have a mechanical impact up to 99, past that Virtual Levels must be turned on in Settings to keep track. Virtual Levels are a purely visual change allowing the player to see their experience level past 99. Post v0.15 update, mastery levels are hard capped at 99.
Q: Where did this Gold Topaz Ring come from?
- A: Gold Topaz Ring is an item which is given to the player in place of an Aorpheats Signet Ring piece, when the requirement of wearing a Gold Topaz Ring is not met. See Signet Ring Half (a) and Signet Ring Half (b) for more details on how to find the Aorpheats Signet Ring.
Q: Do I need to equip a Pet for the effect to be active?
- A: No. If you have unlocked a pet then the effect will be forever active, whether you want it to or not.
Q: I forgot my password, can I recover my account?
- A: Password recovery will be added in the future. If you are still logged into your account you can export your save data and create a new account to continue playing.
Q: My save isn't loading/is broken, how can I fix it?
- A: If "Fix my Save" in Account Settings doesn't work and you can't reload an older save, there may be another issue preventing your save from working. Try asking for help on Discord or if all else fails, contact the developer directly.
Q: Will there ever be a save reset?
- A: There are currently no plans for a reset, although there are other modes (like Hardcore) or the possibility of leaderboards, which would require voluntary resets.
Q: Is this game on mobile?
- A: Yes. There is currently a free version and a paid version available on Android devices, as well as an iOS version.
Q: Does Melvor Idle have a Steam release?
- A: Yes, Melvor Idle can be found on Steam here.
Q: What are the benefits of the Steam version?
- A: The Steam version provides achievements, trading cards, no throttling (which can slow down game play in web browsers), plus all of the usual Steam features such as tracking time played.
Q: Can I use the same save between the mobile/browser/Steam versions?
- A: Yes, by signing into Melvor Cloud on each platform your saves will be synced between devices. Note that:
- You will likely have to load from cloud saves when switching between versions/devices, compare the last save time of your local and cloud saves to ensure you are using your latest save
- The same save should not be used on multiple versions/devices at the same time, as doing so may result in a loss of progress
Changes and upcoming features
Q: Where can I find upcoming changes?
- A: You can see all of the planned major upcoming changes up to v1.0 and beyond on the Roadmap. Additionally, upcoming changes are posted on Discord and occasionally on Reddit.
Q: Will there be a prestige system?
- A: No. The developer is not in favour of prestige systems and currently has no plans to add them.
Q: Will X feature be added to the game?
- A: Suggestions from players on what to add to the game are welcome, with some Patreons having their unique item suggestions added to the game. While the game is in alpha, features are being constantly added. For the most up to date information on what's planned, join us on Discord.
Q: Will there be leaderboards?
- A: There are no plans for leaderboards in the immediate future, as much of the development time is being spent working on other features. There is a possibility that there will be leaderboards in the future, although the way they'll be implemented is still undecided.
Supporting the game
Q: How can I support the game?
- A: A lot of people find Melvor through word of mouth, so sharing it helps the community grow. If you want to help in more tangible ways, an ad-free version of the game can be purchased on the Google Play store or you can purchase the Steam version. Alternatively you can support the game through Patreon.
Q: Is this game open source? Can I help develop it?
- A: Although the code has not been protected from viewing, Melvor is not open source. The developer isn't currently looking for help developing the game.
|Melvor Idle version v0.20 (Released: 11th June 2021)|
|Other: Beginners Guide Guides Bank Combat Mastery Money Making Shop Easter Eggs Pets Golbin Raid|
|Reference Tables: Items, Equipment, Experience Table, Upgrading Items, Dungeons, Chest Loot Tables, Monsters, Monster Loot Tables|