From Melvor Idle
This page is out of date (v0.20).

Cooking is used to turn raw fish into edible food. Although produce such as Potatoes (item).svg Potatoes harvested while Farming (skill).svg Farming can be used as food, cooked fish are substantially stronger, with even relatively low level fish such as Lobster (item).svg Lobsters healing more than Carrot (item).svg Carrots, the strongest crops.


Cooking food normally takes 3 seconds. Purchasing the Art of Control (upgrade).svg Art of Control god upgrade reduces this time by 15% to 2.55 seconds. Using the Pig (item).svg Pig and Salamander (item).svg Salamander synergy will reduce this by a further 0.1 seconds, to a minimum of 2.45 seconds.

By default, you will receive one cooked fish for each successful cooking action. The chance to double the amount of food cooked starts at 0% and can be increased in several ways:

  • The Generous Cook Potion increases the chance to double food by +10-50%, depending on tier.
  • Aorpheat's Signet Ring (item).svg Aorpheat's Signet Ring increases the chance to double food by +10%.
  • Cris (pet).svg Cris increases the chance to double food by +5%.
  • The 25% Mastery Pool Checkpoint increases the chance to double food by +5%.

The bonuses stack additively. For example, a player wearing Aorpheat's Signet Ring (item).svg Aorpheat's Signet Ring and using Generous Cook Potion IV (item).svg Generous Cook Potion IV with Cris (pet).svg Cris unlocked while the 25% Mastery Pool Checkpoint is active will have a 70% chance to receive two fish instead of one.

Burning Food

There are two chances to burn food while cooking: The first is a 30% chance to burn food which can be reduced via Mastery. The Pig (item).svg Pig and Mole (item).svg Mole synergy adds 25% base burn chance to this primary burn chance for a maximum total of 55% primary burn chance and is reduced via Mastery. The second is a 1% chance that can only be removed by the Cooking Skillcape (item).svg Cooking Skillcape or Cooking Gloves (item).svg Cooking Gloves.

If food is burnt during cooking, the player will only receive 1XP. The Crown of Rhaelyx (item).png Crown of Rhaelyx can still save materials from being consumed if food is burned, but the amount of burnt food cannot be doubled by Cris (pet).svg Cris, Aorpheat's Signet Ring (item).svg Aorpheat's Signet Ring, or Generous Cook Potions.

Burnt food is inedible and can be sold from the bank for Coins.svg 1. Reaching Cooking Cooking Level 99 will unlock the Cooking Skillcape (item).svg Cooking Skillcape for purchase from the Shop. Food will never burn when either the Cooking Skillcape (item).svg Cooking Skillcape or Cooking Gloves (item).svg Cooking Gloves are equipped.

Mastery Unlocks

Item Mastery Unlocks

Level Unlock
1 Each Mastery level provides +0.6% success rate. Success rate is capped at 99%, except with Gloves or Cooking Skillcape.
99 This cooked product heals you for an extra 20% when eaten.

The cap of 99% success is reached at level 50 Mastery

Mastery Pool Checkpoints

Pool % Pool XP Bonus
10% 800,000 xp +5% increased Cooking Mastery XP
25% 2,000,000 xp +5% increased chance to get double cooked Food
50% 4,000,000 xp +10% chance to preserve raw food in Cooking
95% 7,600,000 xp All Food heals for +10% HP
Total Mastery Pool XP 8,000,000

The heal bonuses from the per-item Mastery and the 95% Checkpoint bonus stack additively. If a player has 99 Mastery for a given fish and has the 95% Mastery Checkpoint unlocked, the fish will heal 130% of the normal amount.

The Mastery Checkpoint bonus also applies to uncooked Food such as crops grown via Farming (skill).svg Farming.


The skillcape can be purchased from the store for Coins.svg 1,000,000 after the player reaches Cooking Level 99.

Skillcape Name Effect
Cooking Skillcape (item).svg Cooking Skillcape Food never burns


The pet can be unlocked by doing any Cooking action.

Pet Name Effect
Cris (pet).svg Cris +5% Chance to Double Items in Cooking

Cooking Fires

Cooking fires can be purchased from the Shop if the player has the required Firemaking (skill).svg Firemaking level. Their purpose is to increase the amount of Cooking experience gained.

Bonus Cooking (skill).svg XP
Name Firemaking (skill).svg Level Cost This Fire Total
Normal Cooking Fire (upgrade).svg Normal Cooking Fire 1 Coins.svg 20,000
500 Normal Logs (item).svg
+5% +5%
Oak Cooking Fire (upgrade).svg Oak Cooking Fire 10 Coins.svg 40,000
500 Oak Logs (item).svg
+5% +10%
Willow Cooking Fire (upgrade).svg Willow Cooking Fire 25 Coins.svg 70,000
500 Willow Logs (item).svg
+5% +15%
Teak Cooking Fire (upgrade).svg Teak Cooking Fire 35 Coins.svg 100,000
500 Teak Logs (item).svg
+5% +20%
Maple Cooking Fire (upgrade).svg Maple Cooking Fire 45 Coins.svg 150,000
500 Maple Logs (item).svg
+5% +25%
Mahogany Cooking Fire (upgrade).svg Mahogany Cooking Fire 55 Coins.svg 200,000
500 Mahogany Logs (item).svg
+5% +30%
Yew Cooking Fire (upgrade).svg Yew Cooking Fire 60 Coins.svg 300,000
500 Yew Logs (item).svg
+10% +40%
Magic Cooking Fire (upgrade).svg Magic Cooking Fire 75 Coins.svg 500,000
500 Magic Logs (item).svg
+10% +50%
Redwood Cooking Fire (upgrade).svg Redwood Cooking Fire 90 Coins.svg 1,000,000
500 Redwood Logs (item).svg
+20% +70%

Cooking Items

Below is a table of all the items that can currently be cooked.


The Generous Cook Potion has a chance to double food created. Charges are not used when burning food.

Potion Tier Charges Effect
Generous Cook Potion I (item).svg I 15 +10% chance of producing 2x Cooked Food in Cooking
Generous Cook Potion II (item).svg II 30 +20% chance of producing 2x Cooked Food in Cooking
Generous Cook Potion III (item).svg III 40 +30% chance of producing 2x Cooked Food in Cooking
Generous Cook Potion IV (item).svg IV 60 +50% chance of producing 2x Cooked Food in Cooking

Summoning Boosts

This table shows all the Summoning (skill).svg Summoning Familiars and Synergies that provide a bonus to Cooking.

Skill Boosts

This table lists most sources of Cooking-specific modifier boosts. For a list of boosts that apply to all skills, see the Skill Boosts page. This list does not contain boosts provided from Mastery.svg Mastery rewards.

Melvor Idle version v0.21 (Released: 13th August 2021)
Attack (skill).svg Attack
Strength (skill).svg Strength
Defence (skill).svg Defence
Hitpoints (skill).svg Hitpoints
Ranged (skill).svg Ranged
Magic (skill).svg Magic
Prayer (skill).svg Prayer
Slayer (skill).svg Slayer
Woodcutting (skill).svg Woodcutting
Fishing (skill).svg Fishing
Firemaking (skill).svg Firemaking
Cooking (skill).svg Cooking
Mining (skill).svg Mining
Smithing (skill).svg Smithing
Thieving (skill).svg Thieving
Farming (skill).svg Farming
Fletching (skill).svg Fletching
Crafting (skill).svg Crafting
Runecrafting (skill).svg Runecrafting
Herblore (skill).svg Herblore
Agility (skill).svg Agility
Summoning (skill).svg Summoning
Alternative Magic (skill).svg Alternative Magic
Other:Man (thieving).svg Beginners Guide Guides.svg Guides Bank Slot (upgrade).svg Bank Combat.svg Combat Mastery.svg Mastery Coins.svg Money Making Shop.svg Shop Easter.svg Easter Eggs Finn, the Cat (pet).png Pets Golden Golbin (pet).svg Golbin Raid
Reference Tables: Items, Equipment, Experience Table, Upgrading Items, Dungeons, Chest Loot Tables, Monsters, Monster Loot Tables