|This page is out of date (v1.0.5).
This writeup is intended to be mobile-friendly as the UI can make switching difficult. Thus, there will be a focus on limiting the amount of switching necessary, from gear to prayers. Using a web browser or PC will help, as you will be able to swap gear much faster, but is not required. Using a PC will allow you to switch prayers, gear, or spells to optimize DPS, but these will not be discussed in depth.
Event mechanics are explained on the Impending Darkness Event page. In summary, you will need to clear 4 Slayer areas a total of 5 times to complete the entire event. At the end of every area cleared, a harder Boss monster will spawn - it is simply a regular monster with extra combat modifiers. At the end of every round of 4 slayer areas cleared, Bane will spawn. You will have time to swap gear before starting the fight with Bane.
Unhallowed Wasteland, 100% Slayer Negation Sets
This is the most important set and is targeted for Unhallowed Wasteland. You can use this set for the remaining Slayer areas, but it will be helpful to swap to the other sets to optimize your damage output.
Dark Waters, 40% Slayer Negation Sets
This set is targeted for Dark Waters, Shrouded Badlands, and Perilous Peaks. If you choose the "Slayer Area Effects are 5% Stronger" Modifier, wear a Hunter's Ring in the Passive Slot for all 3 styles.
Bane, 0% Slayer Negation Sets
This set is targeted for Bane, here we remove all extraneous Slayer Area negation as we want maximum damage reduction and damage output. Remember that the game pauses before you fight Bane, so you do not need multiple copies of FEZ.
The Maximum Skillcape is non-negotiable, as fights take place in Slayer areas with an item requirement to enter. Taking the cape off in the middle of an area, for example during the pause before Bane, will cause all of your attacks to miss.
Shield of Melee Power, Shield of Ranged Power, and Shield of Magic Power should be equipped as soon as they are obtained.
Ring of Power is typically better than the other DPS options, but as you only get one, it may be inconvenient to use it for anything but Bane, Instrument of Fear.
In general, the ring and passive slot options are quite flexible outside of Unhallowed Wasteland, if you don't own any of the listed options, you won't be missing too much. Some alternative options are:
Maximized combat-focused Astrology bonuses will help the most. However, the difference is relatively small, so don't focus too hard on getting optimal bonuses if you already have your astro set to something else.
- Summoning Tablets:
- These will be outlined on a case-by-case basis for each slayer area below.
- Protect Item will not be recommended so as to not plan for failure. There are many ways to ensure you do not die, and losing the power of one of your prayers can actually increase your chance of death.
- Fire Surge is the generally recommended spell. Anguish III and Surge II are not required but do provide better DPS; however, they will have to be selected every time you swap to your Magic set.
- Incinerate is a decent alternative that works especially well with the Dragon and Unicorn synergy ("You now heal for all BURNING damage you or the Dragon Familiar applies") to make eating a fair bit easier. You may wish to switch to any normal spell and start relying on Ocean Song once the enemy reaches less than half HP, as the burn damage will drop off as it is based on the enemies HP%. Using this spell will also allow you to use Damage Reduction Potions instead of Diamond Luck as your hits are already guaranteed at 20k+ Accuracy Rating, however, this potion should generally only be used when you won't need to swap to the other combat styles (ie. only during Bane fights)
Modifier Tier List
Listed from best (choose it) to worse (avoid it). All modifiers apply to the enemies, not the player. You can start and stop the event when beginning to fish for a decent first modifier. If you receive choices of modifiers or a series of modifiers after a few rounds that are completely awful, you can always restart the event for better RNG.
- +100% chance to ignore Stuns and Freezes and Immune to Sleep
- +20% Maximum Hit and -10% Maximum Hitpoints
- +20% Maximum Hit and +20% Accuracy Rating
- +2000 Maximum Hitpoints and -10% Maximum Hit
- +50% chance to apply poison when hitting with an attack and +10% Maximum Hitpoints
- +15% Damage Reduction and +15% Global Evasion
- +50% Chance to apply burn when attacking and +50% chance to apply frostburn when attacking
- +100% chance to ignore Slow effects and -5% Attack Interval
- +10% Maximum Hit, -10% Attack Interval, and -10% Global Evasion
- +15% chance to apply affliction when attacking and +15% Lifesteal
- Slayer Area Effects are 5% Stronger
- Heal 4% of current hitpoints every 2 turns and +40% of Maximum Hit added to Minimum Hit
The recommended order of areas to clear is as follows:
- Unhallowed Wasteland
- Dark Waters
- Shrouded Badlands
- Perilous Peaks
You can clear in any order you wish, but the recommended order minimizes gear swaps and optimizes Bane fight locations. It is strongly recommended to never clear Unhallowed Wasteland and Dark Waters last.
- Wear the Slayer Negation sets outlined above, having 100% slayer area negation is mandatory, as the area effect is extremely detrimental to your ability to kill anything. Swap each set for Combat Triangle advantage.
- Incinerate can be used to quickly proc Dragon burns against each melee UW monster if you wish, though Ocean Song and normal magic should be used when the enemy has roughly 50% of its health remaining.
- Dangerous Enemies
- All of them, if you get to high stacks of affliction.
- Spiked Red Claw's Savage Spike ability is the most dangerous ability, if you are bleeding when this attack is coming out, eat to full.
- Wear the Dark Waters 40% negation sets outlined above (ie. as much DPS gear as possible excluding Max Cape and Master Slayer Hats, if you choose the "Slayer Area Effects are 5% Stronger" Modifier, wear a Hunter's Ring in the Passive Slot. Swap each set for combat triangle advantage.
- Dangerous Enemies:
- Rokken: multiple Shockwave attacks connecting with you will be a bad time, keep your health above the damage value of shockwave when stunned, but be careful not to interrupt your attacks too often so you're able to drop the stun effect. Mist Boss Rokken is incredibly dangerous as it almost always attacks faster than you.
- No additional Area Negation is required anymore, Maximum Skillcape is enough to sufficiently cover the accuracy loss and the enemies aren't difficult enough to warrant full negation. Swap each set for combat triangle advantage, or don't, these enemies aren't difficult.
- Dangerous Enemies:
- Same as above, no area negation is required, wear as much dps equipment as you can manage. Swap each set for combat triangle advantage.
- Dangerous Enemies:
- None, if you use the appropriate gear based on the combat triangle.
Bane's attack style randomly rolls when he spawns. Similar to Into the Mist, you must fight him with the same combat style he is using, as he is immune to all attacks from other combat styles. If you don't want to fight with a particular style, you can run - do not stop the event as this will reset all progress - and re-clear the last slayer area to roll a new Bane spawn. Bane has the same abilities no matter his combat style.
Use Protect from depending on which Combat Style Bane is using. This is why we fight Bane in Perilous Peaks, the Area effect (-Evasion) does not matter since the prayer sets the boss' chance to hit to 20% regardless of how much you negate the effect.
Abilities and Eating Methods
This fight is not that much more complicated than most other areas, there are less gear swaps required, so you can focus entirely on keeping yourself alive. It is recommended to make a notecard with your effective auto-eat threshhold at various stages of Affliction build-up, typically every 10 stacks or so. This means write down what 40% of your HP is at 90%, 80%, 70%, 60%, 50% Maximum HP, then write down or pay attention to the maximum damage values of each of the bosses attacks so you can make more informed decisions than the general advice given below.
If in doubt at any time, try to eat immediately after one of your attacks finishes, don't rely too heavily on this, as resetting your attack also removes any chance of using special attacks on the next attack.
If possible, if Bane is not casting Fragile Mind, you can swap your Protect Prayer for the DPS Prayer of your respective combat style to hopefully squeeze in a little more damage, this is not necessary, but might make the fight a little quicker.
- Suffocate: Eat once after each of your own attack turns finishes to proc a bit of lifesteal/damage, also eat at around 60% HP or earlier. You want to avoid the sleep completely while still doing as much damage as possible, if you do get slept, it may be safer to simply run from combat than to try to drop the effect.
- Fragile Mind: If you are debuffed by Fragile Mind, eat before the attack lands if your HP is low.
- Unknown Threat: Typically not dangerous.
- Mist Walk: Does no damage, however, if Bane tries to use it twice in a row he will use a Normal Attack instead, the damage value of which changes based on the modifiers you have selected. Typically not dangerous, but if the damage is more than your HP at any time, eat to survive.
- Overwhelming Power: Exclusive to the final Bane. If you are debuffed by Fragile Mind, or if this attack can deal more than your auto-eat threshold based on your affliction, hold the food button to keep yourself healed. Typically not dangerous at low levels of Affliction.
Probably the hardest style as the modifiers stack up. Just let the Tidal Edge do the work as you pay attention to his attacks. In some of the modifier variations, the final Bane will be extremely difficult, and will require more effort overall than any other Bane.
If he proves to be too much of a challenge, remember that you can re-roll his attack style by re-clearing the area. With good sense for eating and appropriate gear, this fight is not so much more difficult that it requires a re-roll.
Decent fight due to the Dragon + Centaur synergy adding a lot of extra damage. Nothing special, as Shockwave is a strong weapon.
Often the easiest style as Incinerate and the Dragon and Unicorn synergy make the beginning of this fight very simple, and Ocean Song special attacks and the general power of magic clean him up nicely.